Varicose veins tend to develop during your pregnancy. Unfortunately, even though they are painful and uncomfortable, it is recommended that you wait until after your child is born to treat them.
Once your baby is born, there are a number of things you can do to treat any varicose veins that developed during pregnancy. Learn more about the various varicose vein treatment options that are available and find the one that is right for you.
Treatment Option #1: Let Them Naturally Go Away
Many women start to see a considerable improvement in their varicose veinsvafter pregnancy. It usually takes anywhere from three to four months to see improvements. Sometimes it can even take up to a year to see improvements.
Unfortunately, not everyone will be able to take this type of “watch and wait” approach to varicose vein treatment. If you have a history of varicose veins, stand or sit for prolonged periods of time, or are overweight, your body will be less likely to shrink the varicose veins naturally.
Treatment Option #2: Make Lifestyle Changes that May Minimize Varicose Veins
Making simple lifestyle changes, such as increasing the amount of exercise you do or how you sit, can help minimize your varicose veins. Some lifestyle changes and natural things you can do that will minimize varicose veins after pregnancy include:
- •Create a safe postpartum weight loss plan
- •Exercise for at least 60 minutes a day. It doesn’t have to be 60 minutes straight. You can take small walks or just be more active throughout the day.
- •Keep your feet and legs elevated as much as possible. This is especially important when lying down.
- •Try not to stand or sit for extremely long periods of time. Try to get up and walk around every hour.
- •Incorporate support hose into your wardrobe
- •Sit in a way that does not cut off or hinder circulation to your legs. For example, do not sit in a way that keeps your legs or ankles crossed.
Treatment Option #3: In-Office Varicose Vein Treatment Options
If you notice that your varicose veins are not getting better on their own or you are experiencing a lot of pain, you may need to consider seeing a specialist. A vein specialist can help you explore various in-office treatment options that can help reduce and eliminate varicose veins after pregnancy.
Some in-office treatment options that may be able to help you include:
- •Endovenous Laser Therapy – EVLT
- •Ultrasound-Guided Foam Sclerotherapy
The type of treatment that you choose will depend upon the severity of the varicose veins and your personal comfort levels. Each of these treatment options will help minimize your varicose veins.
Schedule an Appointment with a Vein911 Specialist
Looking to find relief from painful, itchy varicose veins that occurred during your pregnancy? Call Vein911 Vein Treatment Centers today to schedule an appointment for a free vein evaluation with Dr. Pittman.
During your free vein evaluation with Dr. Pittman, you will learn about the various varicose vein treatment options that are available to you. Call now to schedule an appointment.