It’s an epidemic among the older crowd: varicose veins. While they are relatively benign in most cases, these protruding veins can look rather nasty and sometimes even cause an aching pain from the pooling of blood inside of the vein. You should consider Endovenous Laser Treatment to get rid of them, we’ll go into more detail below!
While not usually considered dangerous, living with varicose veins can leave patients feeling insecure about how they look; not to mention too tired and achy to enjoy life to its fullest. It’s time to get up and do something about it! Get rid of those varicose veins in a single afternoon.
You can get your varicose veins treated in the Tampa Bay area at Vein911!
What’s the Cure for Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are inevitable with age, right? Wrong! There’s no need to live with those protruding veins. They can be fixed – but how? Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT) is a minimally invasive treatment options that uses a radio frequency laser to cauterize – and close – any leaking veins to keep them from becoming swollen and protrude from the skin.
Are You a Good Candidate for EVLT?
Not everyone suffering from varicose veins needs to undergo laser vein treatment; but it can be a good option for those who are experiencing the following:
- aching or throbbing pain
- leg heaviness/fatigue
- skin irritation or sores (ulcers)
- skin discoloration
- painful swelling of the veins (phlebitis)
How Should You Prepare for Endovenous Laser Treatment?
A fairly simple procedure that takes about an hour, ELVT doesn’t hurt and allows patients to head back home within a few hours. Of course, preparing for any type of procedure is important to guarantee the best outcome. Before your procedure be sure to:
- let you doctor know if you are pregnant or nursing or have any pre-existing medical conditions (like diabetes, heart disease or kidney disease). Discuss all of your medications (including herbal supplements) with your doctor
- Tell your doctor about any allergies you may have; especially those to any type of anesthetic or pain relief medications
- Stop taking aspirin, NSAIDS and blood thinners before our procedure – you doctor will advise you to how long before the procedure to discontinue these medications.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing. And leave your jewelry at home!
- Make arrangements for someone else to drive you home, since you will likely be a bit groggy.
What to Do After ELVT
A relatively quick procedure (most patients are only at the clinic about three hours before being released), Endovenous Laser Treatment does still require some degree of aftercare. While your health care provider will give you a detailed list of instructions, here are some basics to prepare for:
- Always have someone available to drive you home from the clinic or hospital
- Take all medications as directed by your physician
- Be sure to follow the after-care instructions carefully for the catheter site
- Check regularly for signs of infection
- Keep your legs elevated
- Wear elastic stockings as directed
- Be sure to move around. Take short walks several times a day
- Don’t lift anything heavy for a few days
- Avoid standing for long periods of time for about one week
- Don’t fly until you see your doctor
- Stay out of hot baths, saunas and whirlpools until completely healed.
- Watch for these danger signs: fever, throbbing pain in the legs, swelling, numbness, chest pain, difficulty breathing and redness or tenderness at the catheter site.
In most cases, EVLT patients are up and around doing normal activities within a d ay or two. It takes 7-10 days to completely heal from the procedure, but many people can actually return to work right away. It is usually advised that you take it easy the day of the procedure, but in most cases can return to work the following day as long as you don’t do a lot of standing or lifting.
About a week after the procedure, your doctor will schedule an ultrasound to check for healing and blood clots. In the absence of any problems, most patients are given the go ahead to return to all normal activities at that time.
There really is no reason to live with the physical effects and unsightly look of varicose veins. With endovenous vein treatment, you can completely rid your legs of those lumpy, swollen and discolored veins, returning your legs to their previous smoothness in a single treatment. Fill out an online patient form today and schedule an appointment at Vein911 Vein Treatment Center with one of our Tampa, Clearwater, Largo or Wesley Chapel office locations.