What Causes Swollen Legs and Ankles?
The MAIN cause of leg swelling, foot swelling, and ankle swelling, is undiagnosed vein disease. Vein disease, also known as venous insufficiency, occurs when the valves in the veins of the legs are damaged or weakened, causing blood to flow backward and pool in the lower legs and ankles. The swelling associated with venous insufficiency is usually most noticeable in the ankles, as this is the lowest point in the body where fluid can accumulate. The swelling may be more pronounced at the end of the day, after prolonged periods of standing of sitting, or during hot weather. Other causes of lower leg and ankle swelling are:
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT): DVT is a condition where a blood clot forms in a deep vein in the leg. This can obstruct blood flow and cause swelling, pain, and tenderness in the affected leg.
- Lymphedema: Lymphedema is a condition that occurs when the lymphatic system, which helps to remove excess fluid from the body, is not functioning properly. This can cause fluid to build up in the tissues and lead to swelling, typically in the legs and feet.
- Obesity: Being overweight or obese can put extra pressure on the veins in the legs, which can cause ankle swelling.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, the body produces more blood to support the growing fetus, which can increase pressure on the veins in the legs and lead to ankle swelling.
- Certain medications: Some medications, such as calcium channel blockers or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), can cause ankle swelling as a side effect.
If you are experiencing these symptoms, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional, such as a vein care specialist or vascular surgeon. At Vein911 we will perform an initial consultation to determine the severity of your leg or ankle swelling. From there, additional tests, such as an ultrasound will be ordered to diagnose the underlying cause of your symptoms and help our staff determine an appropriate treatment option. Vein911 Vein Treatment Centers are Florida’s trusted vein care specialists, and Dr. Chris Pittman uses only the latest procedures and advanced technologies to treat all of your vein issues.